Home Selling Costs

  1. Legal fees and disbursements – these should be negotiated up-front with your lawyer to avoid any misunderstanding later and to help you better assess your cash requirements. The fees and disbursements are approximately $1,000. TIP: Ensure you deal with a real estate lawyer. They are more likely to be aware of the issues specific to your needs.
  2. Processing Fees – covers property appraisal, administration fees and the processing of documentation for your mortgage.
  3. Home Inspector: Get a qualified home inspector to check out the house before you commit to buying, either new or resale. For about $400 they will tell you what you need to repair or replace and how much it will cost. Build it in as a condition on your offer.
  4. Land Transfer Tax – in Ontario you have to pay a land transfer tax. Be sure to consult with your lawyer to confirm the Land Transfer Tax amount due.
  5. Land Survey – most lenders require a survey of the property done by an accredited land surveyor. This will establish whether the building is located within its specified legal boundaries and complies with local building bylaws. The cost is usually about $500, but could be higher in complex cases. TIP: When purchasing an existing house include a condition in your offer to purchase that the present owner provide the existing survey if it is available.
  6. Closing Adjustments – includes any necessary adjustments between you and the vendor for property taxes, insurance and heating fuel that has been prepaid. TIP: Make sure you are clear on what payments the vendor has made and what charges are being transferred to you. Your lawyer can help you with this calculation.
  7. Fire insurance – mortgage lenders require that you have fire insurance coverage for the amount of the mortgage or the value of the buildings, whichever is less. This cost will vary depending on your property value, the insurance company and the municipality. TIP: Shop around to compare prices and find the most appropriate home insurance policy to meet your needs.
  8. Moving expenses – can include having someone pack your valuables, load them onto and off of a moving truck, the travel time between locations and moving insurance. The average cost for a local move may range from $500 to $1,500. The costs vary from company to company depending on how much and how far you are moving. TIP: Moving companies will often offer discounted storage rates if your closing dates don’t coincide.
  9. Hook Ups – telephone, cable, heat, water, gas and electricity services charge for switching the existing service over to the new homeowner. The price of installing new service hook up will be much higher. TIP: Call the service providers in advance of your move to get estimates in your new area and compare offers and fees to save both time and money.
  10. Decorating – although most decorating can be done gradually, some things, such as plumbing fixtures, paint, curtains, blinds, carpets and furniture may need to be bought or replaced right away. TIP: Taking possession of a resale home before you move in makes it easier and often less expensive to paint, wallpaper, lay carpet or refinish hard wood floors before the furniture arrives.
  11. Appliances – may be included in your purchase price so you can pay for them over the term of your mortgage. If not, you may need a substantial amount up-front. Prices for a fridge, stove, washer, dryer, dishwasher and freezer range from a low-end $2,500 to $12,000 and beyond. TIP: Write into your offer to purchase any appliances in the house you would like (or expect) to stay. This also applies to curtains, blinds, light fixtures, etc.
  12. Status Certificate -If you are selling a condo, or any property with condo fees, you should expect to pay for the Status Certificate to provide to the buyer.  The cost is $100 plus HST.  


What Are The Costs Of Buying Property In Durham Region?

Home Buying Costs

  1. LEGAL FEES: You will need a lawyer to act on your behalf in purchasing and mortgaging a property. A lawyer also takes care of details like the transfer of the deed. You’ll likely pay at least $75 to your lawyer, but fees vary, so get an estimate ahead of time and ask what is included in that price.
  2. HOUSE INSPECTION FEES: If you’re buying a resale home, before committing, you should have the home inspected by a professional building inspector to assess any structural problems or required repairs. Expect to pay approximately $400 for the inspection in the Durham Region.
  3. SURVEY OR TITLE INSURANCE: To close a home purchase, you need an up-to-date survey of the property, which specifies its size and shape, the type and size of the building, including additions, and the location of these buildings. If the vendor doesn’t provide an acceptable survey, you will need to pay a land surveyor about $750 for a new one. Alternatively, title insurance can be purchased for less and protects the lender and buyer against loss or damage due to an inaccurate survey. It provides coverage for any existing bylaw violations (like a building being too close to a sidewalk or other public property, or a driveway being too wide), encroachments, legal rights of access and other title-related problems that could devalue the property.
  4. LAND TRANSFER TAX AND GST: You will pay a one-time provincial tax based on a percentage of the purchase price of the property, which is calculated on a sliding scale. For example, if you purchase a property for $260,000 in Ontario, 5% is charged on $55,000, 1% is charged on $55,00 to $250,000, while the $250,000 to $400,000 range is taxed at 1.5%. Your total tax bill will add up to $2,375. Land transfer tax rebates are available from the government to first-time buyers of newly built homes to a limit of $2,000. Newly build homes as well as substantially renovated houses are also subject to GST, and some new-home builders include this tax in the cost. Be sure to ask if GST is included or not.
  5. ADJUSTMENT COSTS: You will be responsible for your share of any costs for utilities, fuel or property taxes the current owner has prepaid. Sometimes property taxes have been paid by the previous owner for up to half a year in advance, for example. These expenses will be calculated by your lawyer and must be paid at the time of closing; they will be detailed in your Statement of Adjustments.
  6. MORTGAGE INSURANCE: If your mortgage is more than 75% of the property’s selling price, it is considered high-ratio, and as the homebuyer you must buy insurance to protect the lender in case you default. The insurance is provided by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation CHMC, and is calculated on a sliding scale based on the ratio of mortgage to home value.
  7. MOVING COSTS: Don’t forget the movers. Count on paying $1,000 or more, and make sure your new home insurance commences the day you take ownership.
  8. SETUP COSTS: If you’re planning to install a telephone, cable, satellite, Internet access or an alarm system, you may face connection charges. Some service and utility companies ask for a sizable security deposit up front if you don’t have a previous history of bill payment.


Home Buyer Rebate

The HBTC is a non-refundable tax credit for certain homebuyers who acquire a qualifying home after January 27, 2009, that is - closing after this date. For 2009, the credit will be $750. 



 Who is eligible for the HBTC?

You will qualify for the HBTC if:

  • You or your spouse or common-law partner acquire a qualifying home;
  • You did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years.


What is a qualifying home?

A qualifying home is a housing unit located in Canada. This includes existing homes and those being constructed. Single-family homes, semi-detached homes, townhouses, mobile homes, condominium units, as well as apartments in duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes and apartment buildings all qualify. A share in a co-operative housing corporation that entitles you to possess, and gives you an equity interest in, a housing unit located in Canada also qualifies. However, a share that only provides you with a right to tenancy in the housing unit does not qualify.

As well, you must intend to occupy the home or you must intend that the related person with a disability occupy the home as a principal place of residence no later than one year after buying it.


Bring me back to Kirk and Victoria's BUYERS Page.



Point2 Website Design by Get A Grip Audio & Website Solutions 



Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Profile  |  Sign In

Choose language:

Real Estate Website powered by Point2
Point2 Homes Ajax
©2008-2017 Percy Fulton Brokerage Ltd